One of the Hot Spots
–What was the Plancius?
8- Why didn’t the officer ask the man why he had jumped into the sea?
* He disliked it and didn’t want to see it again.
13- What were the writer’s feelings towards Semarang?
12- How did the writer feel when the ship moved?
* He felt it was like getting out of prison.
11- How does the writer feel about the people who lived in Semarang?
* He feels very sorry for all the people who live in Semarang.
10- What did the officer know about the passenger?
* All that he knew about the man that he was coming back to his work at Semarang.
9- When did the officer see the passenger after going back to his room?
*At breakfast. They sat next to each other.
* Because he was so surprised that he didn’t know what to say.
7- What did the passenger do when he fell into the sea?
* He climbed up the ladder onto the ship, looked at his watch and went back to his room.
6- How was the water of the sea near Semarang? Why?
* It was smooth, solid and glassy because there was no wind.
5- Why was Semarang very hot?
* The mountain behind it kept the wind off.
4- What was well known about Semarang?
* It was the hottest town in the whole of islands.
3- Why was the writer unwilling to go on shore at Semarang?
* He wasn’t attracted as it lacked colour and gaiety.
2- Why did the ship stand half a mile from the harbour?
* Because the harbour was shallow.
* It was the ship on which the narrator was travelling